What Is In E-Liquid or E-Juice?

What Is E-Liquid?

E-Liquid or E-Juice, as some people like to call, others know it simply as juice. So what exactly is this gooey stuff? Are all juices made the same? Are there proper ways of handling it? Let’s find out!

E-Juice, as you probably already know, is the liquid commonly used in electronic cigarettes, mods, and personal vapes. The device heats up the substance and transforms it into that delicious vaper which we like to inhale. E-juice may or may not contain nicotine and comes in an endless array of flavors from ice cream, to watermelon, to sweet tobacco.

What is E-Liquid Made Out Of?

The contents of e-juice typically contain a mix of Propylene Glycol (PG), Vegetable Glycerin (VG), Distilled Water, Nicotine and Natural and Artificial Flavorings or Extracts. Not every e-juice is created the same however. Many have different ratios of PG to VG; some juices use flavorings, others use extracts (which are generally more costly to produce.) Some e-juices are simple single flavor mixtures, while others have more complexity that taste different from the inhale, to the exhale, to the aftertaste. In some rare cases, manufacturers add vitamins and caffeine into their juice mixtures.

What is Propylene Glycol And Vegetable Glycerin?

Easily the two most common ingredients in e-juice are Propylene Glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG); They make up nearly 90% of the juice. The other 10% is made up of nicotine or flavorings or extracts. Generally, cheapo economy e-juices use food grade flavorings and package their juice in plastic bottles. Premium e-juices can use multiple food grade flavor extracts and package their e-juices in fancy glass bottles with pretty labeling. So yes there is a difference between inexpensive and expensive juice. And if you vape enough, you’ll definitely be able to tell a difference.

Can You Steep An E-liquid?

Ever seen the term steeping on a bottle of juice? Steeping is the equivalent to letting a good wine age. It can bring out a more complex and smoother flavor in the juice. It’s important to shake your e-juice before steeping to make sure the liquid is fully blended. If you feel the flavor is too strong, you can remove the cap and let it breathe to mellow it out. If you think the flavor is too weak, you should leave the cap on and place the bottle in a dark cool place for a few days. (I realize this is a bit more advanced, but hey, I’m just here to show you’ve got options.)

As e-juice ages, it will darken over time because the nicotine will begin to oxidize it. The amount of nicotine in your juice plays a large role in its tint. Certain flavors or extracts also play a role in making your juice darker. If you’ve been noticing your e-juice getting darker while vaping, it’s most likely because the wick and coil are becoming caramelized with continued use and the staining your beautiful juice is the result. No, it isn’t harmful, it’s just science. If you don’t like it, go clean it!

Is E-Liquid Sensitive To Light?

It’s important to know that e-juice is quite sensitive to light and heat, and both will speed up the nicotine oxidation process. It is recommended that you store your juice in a dark cool dry place in order to preserve the original flavor longer. Extreme temperatures can also affect e-juice, but in a negative way, so beware of leaving them in your car on extremely hot or cold days! It’s also helpful to know that glass bottles are better than plastic bottles for long term storage.

What Different Strengths Does E-Liquid Come In?

If you aren’t a cigarette smoker, it’s recommended to try vaping without nicotine. And good news for you, the less nicotine contained in the juice, the more flavor for you!  Increased amounts of nicotine will tend to dilute the flavor. For anyone looking to drop the cigarette habit, you’re definitely going to want some nicotine to help wean you off. E-juice nicotine levels range anywhere from 3mg/ml (.3%) to 24mg/ml (2.4%) or higher 6mg seems to be the sweet spot for any serious smokers looking to quit. After a couple months, dropping down to 3mg is a good move. I know only a few brave souls who go after the 12mg level and, let me tell you, it’ll kick you in the teeth if you’re not ready for it.

Well, there you have it; An introduction to e-juice. Be sure to read our other blogs on the best e-liquids and e-juices. I hope this post will help you on your journey to flavor and helping you live a smoke-free lifestyle!

Reply

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
Get E-liquid Coupons And Savings

By Joining For Free You Become Eligible To Receive Our Exclusive Giveaways, Discounts, Coupons, And More With No Commitment, just your name and email so we can send you your stuff. Simple as it gets.

We respect your privacy 100%